The Committee will take action on the bill by January 23
SB 50, mandating statewide upzoning (95% of San Francisco) & threatening our affordable housing, is back. Opposed by SF Board of Supervisors, it enables greater luxury housing and reduces affordable housing requirements.
Please read this summary & act now.
January 6: SB 50 author Scott Wiener announced changes to the bill. Bill text http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB50
Analysis of bill’s amendments here
By January 23: State Senate Appropriations Committee will take up the amended bill. If enough people oppose, they won’t vote the bill out of committee; SB 50 dies for the 2020 session.
- Call all CA Senate Appropriations Cttee members asap (list below) – “Message: I oppose SB 50. It won’t solve our affordable housing crisis. Other tools already exist that hold our cities accountable to build the housing needed for their communities. SB 50 incents developers to build luxury housing.”
- Call Senate President Pro Tem Toni Atkins and Gov. Gavin Newsom
- Forward this email to family, friends, & neighbors, asking them to do the same.
Contact info – CA Senate Appropriations Committee:
Anthony Portantino, Chair (D) 916-651-4025 (critical of SB 50)
Patricia Bates (R) 916-651-4036 (Former social worker opposes SB 50)
Steven Bradford (D) 916-651-4035 (avoids discussing)
Jerry Hill (D) 916-651-4013 (he indicated opposition to SB 50, but may be weakening)
Brian Jones (R) 916-651-4038 (position unknown)
Bob Wieckowski (D) 916-651-4010 (position unknown)
Maria Elena Durazo (916) 651-4024
And call/fax these top state leaders; they have a big impact on SB 50:
- Senator Toni Atkins (President Pro Tem) – (916) 651-4039; Fax: (916) 651-4939
- Governor Gavin Newsom – (916) 445-2841; Fax: 916/558-3160