People often ask which number to call when they see something concerning. Below are some common reasons why someone may call for assistance and who they should call.

Click HERE to download PDF

Call 9-1-1 when there is:

  • Immediate danger to life, property or environment (including medical or fire)
  • Crime in progress
  • Medical or mental health emergency – including
    • someone acting violent or threatening to themselves or others
    • unresponsive or may need medical assistance
    • trespassing or blocking entrances and is unresponsive
  • A well-being check for a person who is not in distress or acting violently, but appears to have an issue that could represent a risk to them or others

ASK the dispatcher to have police speak to you after they respond, AND GET an Incident Report # from police when they are done.

Call 415-553-0123 (SF Police Non-Emergency) for:

  • Suspicious activities or local neighborhood problems
  • Noise complaints
  • Trespassing and blocked entrances (person is responsive and non-threatening)
  • Report a blocked sidewalk (one or more tents/structures that impede the ability for all to walk down the sidewalk)

Call or Use the 3-1-1 app (non-police services) to:

  • Report an encampment (multiple tents/structures)
  • Report debris and abandoned shopping carts
  • Report discarded syringes (or text 415-810-1337)
  • Report vandalism (not in progress)
  • Request street or sidewalk cleaning, for human, animal, or hazardous waste
  • Request a Police Report
  • Get information about services in San Francisco

311 … San Francisco’s Customer Service Center, available by phone (just call 311) in San Francisco, or 415 701-2311, from outside San Francisco. Problems with graffiti, garbage, flooding, stray dogs, etc can all be reported to this number. You can also download the 311 app and submit a case online from your smartphone. The 311 Customer Service Center is also available on the 311 website.

511 … call 511 on your phone, or use the 511 website for information on Bay Area traffic, transit, rideshare and bicycling information.

Animal Shelter: Animal Care and Control is San Francisco’s animal shelter, located at 1200 15th Street (at Harrison).
Call them for questions or problems regarding wildlife or domestic animals, or for their help in finding a lost pet …415-553-6364. The Animal Care and Control website has information about animals available for adoption, and injured or stray animals can be turned in at the facility.

Blue parking zones, placard violators…415-554-9818 (SFMTA hotline to report violators)

San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) 701-3000, or go to the SFMTA website.
Plan your travel in San Francisco and beyond. On this website, it is also possible to buy parking meter cards and the new Clipper Card which allows you to use one card (to which money is added) to travel on many forms of transportation.

Noe Valley Voice… free independent newspaper writing about Noe Valley, just down the hill from Dolores Heights. It carries classified ads for useful neighborhood services such as home repair, pet sitting, gardening, etc as well as stories about current events in Noe Valley.

San Francisco Public Library…the library (415-557-4400) has a website with many online functions. Books can be renewed or requested and the catalog of books can be searched, among other options. The main branch of the public library is located at Civic Center and there are 28 branch libraries in San Francisco. The two closest branches to Dolores Heights are the Noe Valley Library and the Eureka Valley Library.